Friday, February 29, 2008

Chow Mein

I hope this recipe works. I promised that I would post how I made the chow mein for the Blue and Gold Banquet. I pretty much just combined several recipes and came up with my own. Kelly's Grandma Fujikawa made really good chow mein.......unfortunately I never had any of her chow mein. I asked for a recipe but there was not one!! If anyone tires this let me know if the measurements are close, I made a huge batch so I am not sure if they are close or not. So here it goes.

The sauce:

1 can (regular size) chicken broth
about 2 T cornstarch
2 T soy sauce ( I did not measure I just poured some in and kept tasting it.)
about 1 T Seasoning Salt( I used the Costco brand....Lawry's works too)

Put the chicken broth in a saucepan and add the cornstarch heat until thickened. Add remaining ingredients. Keep warm. Stir fry your favorite meat and vegetables and then add sauce and mix it all together. When stir frying cook your meat (about 2 cups)first and then start adding your vegetables. Add the harder vegetables first since they take a little longer to cook. Some of the vegetables that I like to add are bean sprouts, onions, celery, carrots, broccoli, sugar peas, baby corn on the cob, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.

No comments: