Tuesday, February 19, 2008

taco soup

This recipe is a great food storage meal because everything but the hamburger meat comes from a can! In fact, I'm not sure this could really be called cooking either. My family LOVES this recipe, we have it for dinner about once a month. The beauty of it is that you don't have to follow it exactly, some people use black beans instead of kidney, some cook onion with the hamburger while it's browning, whatever you like. It also is really easy to feed to a large group because you just add a few extra cans of tomatoes beand and corn and it goes really far. I almost always serve this with the best corn bread you've ever tried which I will post as soon as I get a picture of it!

In a large pot, brown 2 lbs. of hamburger and drain off fat. Add two pkgs of taco seasoning (I use the large Costco container of taco seasoning and just give the top of the hamburger a generous coating) and two cups of hot water. Stir and let simmer until about half of the water is cooked off.
Add the following:
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 can tomoato sauce (regular size can)
1 sm can diced green chilies
2 cans corn - drained
1 large can kidney beans - drained & rinsed
Stir and let simmer for at least 15-20 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wende you are so awesome! I will love this blog, and believe me my intentions are good to post some recipes I'm just having some new computer issues that I need to resolve with accessing my photo card and then I'll be able to post on this blog.

Kristy said...

I love Taco Soup but my boys hate it! I still make it and they get PBJs or macs and cheese. My favorite thing about this soup is it is so quick and easy to make!!