Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sweet Corn Muffins/Corn Bread

I really love this cornmeal. It's not that it's anything special... but the recipe on the side is!
In fact I think it's the very best recipe for corn bread I have ever had. If you like Marie Calendar's type corn bread (more like corn flavored cake) you will love this. It's a great recipe & so much more economical than buying the Marie Callendar's mix.
I am kind of on a cupcake craze right now so I made my usual corn bread into corn muffins.
The original recipe is for corn muffins but I make it into corn bread just about everytime I make it. Here is the recipe~
Alber's Sweet Corn Bread/Corn Bread Muffins
1 1/2 Cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn meal - (see I told you it's more like corn cake)
1 Tblsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tblsp. melted butter
Preheat oven to 350. Grease or paper line 18 muffin cups or grease a 8 inch square baking pan.
Stir together flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder, & salt in medium bowl. In a different bowl wisk together the rest of the ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry & stir just until everything is well blended. Don't go crazy here. Pour into prepared muffin cups 2/3 full or pan. Bake muffins for 14-16 minutes for just cooked- not browned muffins- that's how I like them. Or.. pour into prepared pan & bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (this will be browned)
*I often double the recipe & bake it in a 9x13" pan but it takes a lot longer to cook all the way through- like 45 minutes, so allow enough time if you want to make a big pan of it.

Chloe likes them- So do I- Let me know if you give them a try.

Years ago we had some missionaries over for dinner. I made soup & corn bread. One of the elders was from Georgia. He kept saying over & over in a southern accent - I LOVE CORNBREAD, MY MAMA USED TO MAKE CORNBREAD. For years afterward & even still today when I make it the kids go around saying this. It's a funny -Messer inside joke.

3 comments:

Janae said...

What a fun cornbread story:) These do look yummy. I like the idea of making them into corn/muffins. I am in the cupcake craze now too:)

Kristy said...

Kelly loves cornbread. I don't have a recipe for it so I will have to try this one. They look really yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)