Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Here are the cast of characters (Pioneer lady style).

This recipe goes way back. My mom used to make these while I was growing up. She got the recipe from our neighbor Mary Davies. Every time I make this recipe I can't help but remember the very first time I ever made it.
I had gone home for a few weeks to help my mom while she was going through chemotherapy. She requested I make this dish for her. I was very intimidated as I had never made such a thing before. I was also worried about having to touch so much raw meat...I've come along way. I also had not made a recipe with cornstarch before. I added the cornstarch to the sauce dry....no water. It wasn't pretty, but it actually still tasted good! Anyway, it's a yummy recipe give it a try:)

1 and a half lbs. ground beef
1/4 t. pepper
3/4 c. oatmeal
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 can water chestnuts (chopped finely)
1/3c. milk
1/2t. onion salt
1 t. soy sauce
1/2t. garlic salt
1/2t. salt
(mix all ingredients well, form into little balls brown on cookie sheet in oven @350 about 15 min.)


Here is the sauce part of the recipe.
1 c. beef broth
1-81/2 oz. can crushed pineapple
1/2 c. vinegar (apple cider)
1 c. brown sugar
2 t. soy sauce
4 T. cornstarch,( 4T. water)

~Drain pineapple, mix juice with sugar and cornstarch- boil 1 min. add rest of ingred. and heat until clear and and thicker, add meatballs and pineapple chunks. Simmer until ready to eat.

This is how the sauce looks before it has boiled.

It gets really nice and clear when it is looking ready.

Here is the final product.

Sticky rice is a must with these meatballs. It really completes the recipe.

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Janae these look so good. We love meatballs at our house, I will have to try this recipe.

Anonymous said...

That's me stirring the rice!

Matt said...

Good Work Doug! This is a cool site. It has real recipes, as opposed to requiring Creme' Fresse or something. Cool.

patsy said...

these look so good- can't wait to try it!

wende said...

thanks for sharing a memory with the recipe, i will think of your sweet mom now when i try these out! you took great pictures, pioneer woman would be proud!

wende said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dawnae said...

nice nae....love the new blog!!!!! You should have done this a long time ago!!!