Sunday, January 11, 2009

cafe rio style pork & rice with tomatio dressing

I got these recipes over on Tried & trues one of my very favorite cooking blogs.
I have tweeked them a little to my family's taste.
I'm listing my own version & photos because several people in my family have requested me to. They either don't have high speed or just can't figure out how to get to Mique... so here you go!
thanks mique!! Those of you readers who live in Utah-
have probably been to Cafe Rio. Those who live otherwise... will just have to try these recipes!
Cafe Rio Style Pork
1 pork roast between 3-4 lb. picnic roast is fine/bone in or with out doesn't matter
3 cups of salsa
1 cup of brown sugar
Place the ingredients into your crock pot & cook on high for 6 hours or low 10.
(I used Pace medium & blended it with the brown sugar because my kids don't like chunks-weirdos)
When the cooking time is up remove the roast & shred pulling out any fat. Pour the sauce over the shredded pork & mix. Serve on a salad or like me in tacos. I use fresh tortillas, pork, grated cheese, lettuce, salsa & cafe rio style creamy tomatillo sauce & lime rice -recipes below.
Cafe Rio Style Tomatillo Sauce
1 package of ranch dressing mix made as directed for dressing
2 medium tomatillos cut into chunks
1/2- 2 chopped & seeded jalapenos (depending on your taste)
1/3 of a bunch of cilantro
1 tsp. chopped garlic
juice of one lime
blend until smooth in the blender- this makes a lot of dressing, at least a quart!
Cafe Rio Style Sweet Lime Rice
2 cups white rice
4 cups of water
2 chicken bullion cubes
zest of one lime
1 tsp chopped garlic
Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Then stir in
6 Tblsp of finely chopped cilantro
4 tsp sugar mixed with 4 tsp lime juice
salt as desired
Serve!

11 comments:

Kristy said...

I made this a few months ago but I think it is time to try it again! It is soooo yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I've never been to Cafe Rio, but these photos are making me hungry. I'm crazy about anything with cilantro and lime, so I'll definitely have to try your sauce and rice recipes, too!

She Loves To Make said...

Oh I LOVE these recipes! For being homemade, they are pretty dang close to Cafe Rio and are absolutely Fantastic! I will definitely be making these!

Janae said...

This all looks so yummy! I have never tried the rice this way...i can't wait:)

dawnae said...

this looks so yummy!!! Did you use a pork loin roast or just a regular roast, and does it matter. Pork really confuses me for some reason.

patsy said...

I just used the cheap roast not pork loin. I can't think of what they are called right now- like .99 or 1.29 a lb. on sale.

bone in or not, doesn't matter. I just pick it out later-

Amy said...

Just found this blog and I'm so excited! This looks so yummy! Thanks for posting!

dawnae said...

Okay I went to store today to get the tomatillos, and I couldn't tell which were fresh, and which weren't or if none of them were fresh? Should the outside be green, and the inside soft, hard or firm????

Urban Tangerine said...

What a tasty website. Thanks, Wende, for recommending it. Props to Patsy for using Blendtec. My Dad works there and I have one of those blenders, too. They're the best! We don't have Cafe Rio in NYC, but my UT friends are always talking about it. I must try this out.

dawnae said...

Just had to say I am making this again tonight....so so so yummy....can't wait!

Kari Sweeten said...

Can't wait to make this!!!