Saturday, March 15, 2008

Grandma Carrie's Banana Nut Bread


This is a tradition in my family...in fact when I asked my Mom for the recipe...she couldn't give it to me...she had to make it and then take down notes while she did it. My Mom was born in 1922 and it's her Mom's recipe so who knows how old it is if it was given to her.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
3 medium Ripe Bananas
4 T Soft margarine/butter
1 C Sugar
2 T Sour milk (add a few drops of lemon juice to fresh milk to sour it)
1 t Salt
1 t Baking Soda
2 1/2 C Flour
1 C Chopped Walnuts
Combine bananas, margarine, sugar and sour milk in a mixer or large mixing bowl and beat until smooth ( lumps of butter will remain). Add salt and soda. Slowly add the 21/2 cups of flower, add nuts and mix well. Place in well greased and floured bread pan and bake at 350 degrees until golden Brown. Approx 45 minutes...if you use smaller bread pans like I did it may only take 30 minutes (I always do the toothpick test to know for sure).

1 comment:

Kristy said...

This looks yummy, I will have to try it out