Monday, May 19, 2008

The Mint Brownie (my version)

When looking around out there I have found many a mint brownie recipe. This one is the best! It is a mix of two different recipes I have and I think this is the one I always make.

Brownies:
2 C. sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 and 1/2 C. flour
dash of salt
2/3 C. cocoa
2 sticks butter melted (no substitutes)
1 tsp. peppermint extract (there has been discussions with different family members on peppermint extract versus mint extract.) The peppermint is where it's at;)

*Beat eggs; add sugar and mix well. Melt butter in separate bowl and add cocoa to that. Mix well. Then add to egg/sugar mix. add all other ingredients and mix well.
* Spray or grease 13x9 inch pan. add brownies.
* Bake in a 325/350 degree oven (depending on pan used). about 25 minutes.

Mint Layer:
1 box powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 cups)
1 cube butter softened
1 tsp. peppermint extract
about 1/4 c. milk
add any food coloring you want. Green for Christmas time, pink for girl babies being born and moms who need a pick me up, orange for Halloween. Your options are endless:)

* beat all ingredients together until smooth. If consistency is too stiff add a bit more milk.
When brownies are completely cool frost brownies evenly with mint layer.
*note, this makes a lot of mint filling...I am told some don't care for this much mint frosting (gasp, I know) So, it is completely up to you as to how much mint filling you want. I says use it all, bring it on:)
*after you have frosted your mint layer, put brownies in freezer for 15-20 min. once frosting is set you are ready for the chocolate layer.

Chocolate layer:
6 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips (you really want semi- I promise)
6 T. butter (no substitutes!)
melt both together in microwave about 1 min. stir until completely blended. POUR (you must pour) over cold mint layer. You want to tip the pan to get this layer to spread and then it will look perfect. Put back in freezer to set chocolate layer. Remove when chocolate layer is set and cut into squares. (enjoy!)

11 comments:

Anna Marie said...

Oh Janae. No wonder they're so good. All that butter!! One question though. How much is one box of powdered sugar? What a great blog. I can't wait to try out some of your recipes ladies!

everything pink! said...

will you please autograph this page in your book when it comes out.
thank you so much for typing and sharing this, but butt will never be the same!!!

everything pink! said...

i meant to say "my butt" will never be the same.

Anonymous said...

What if I substitute the mint in the mint layer for cream cheese? Would that work and how much? Maybe one day I'll grow to love mint. (I have become a salt freak. You know whose fault that is.)

patsy said...

Hurray!!! I've been checking everyday since the blog party (almost) I am so excited to have this recipe- mmmmmmm -
I won't be making them for fear of eating the whole pan, but I could if I wanted to & that's what matters!!

michelle said...

Hooray, the mint brownie recipe!! I'm so glad you posted this. I have a recipe for an 8" square pan, but they are too dense and rich, you can only eat about a 1/2" piece. Can't wait to make yours!

Janae said...

Anna Marie—I updated the recipe to show the exact amount of powdered sugar.

Karla—I think the cream cheese version would be great! I would probably just do a cream cheese frosting recipe. It would be same as the butter cream recipe just add 1 block of softened cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, and omit the mint. I think you should try this and let us know...sounds yummy:)

Janae said...

*one more note...when making cream cheese frosting you don't need the milk either:)

Kristy said...

I am so excited to make these. I love mint anything! Maybe I will get it together and make them for my family party this weekend! Thanks for posting the recipe!!!

Lucy said...

These seriously were so good. I'm glad you posted the recipe. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to try it (my husband has Celiac - no wheat or flour in our house) but if someone else gets a chance now that you've posted it, my life will be that much better.

Thanks!

amy gretchen said...

thank you so much for sharing. It's amazing. I love them.