Monday, January 17, 2011

patsy's favorite sugar cookies

I got this recipe years & years ago...
Like.... 17 years ago
and it's still my favorite sugar cookie!
It's not the puffy kind. Its the soft, yet flat, & easy to decorate kind of sugar cookie.
I love the yummy, buttery, vanilla-y, flavor. To me- they are good even without frosting.
Although they are easy to frost (because they are not puffy) and also easy to cut with cutters because, heck I don't know- they just are.
I can't wait to make some Valentine's Day shapes!
1 Cup Butter (do not substitute margarine/spread)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp. really good vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
2 2/3 Cups all purpose flour
Mix & roll just like other cookies- butter & sugar first until fluffy- then add eggs & vanilla, mix well- then add dry ingredients. Allow to cook in the fridge for at least 2 hours. (this will make them much easier to roll & not all sticky- of course in an emergency- just use it like it is.)
Roll onto a lightly floured surface- 1/4 inch thick. Cut out using floured cutters.
Place 2" apart on a baking sheet & bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
WARNING: over cooking the cookies will make them crunchy. They will still taste great, but I just like my cookies chewy- so if you are like me- take them out of the oven before they turn brown.
It's tricky at first- but just as- or just before they turn brown- is just so good.
p.s. I always double the recipe & typically make it a day before I want to roll them out. This breaks up the cookie making process... which can take forever, especially when decorating.

No comments: