Sunday, June 8, 2008

blueberry muffins

I love this recipe. It has changed many times, but I think it is perfect right now.
Read this recipe all the way through before making it.

Dry ingredients:
1 1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour (I do this for taste, if you don't have wheat just use all white)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
Whisk the dry ingredient together then add 1 to 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries. Stir to coat them with dry mixture.
Wet ingredients:
3/4 cup sour milk (3/4 cup milk with approx. 2 tsp. lemon juice in it)
* I usually do this step first, then put the dry ingredients together then come back to it the milk has a chance to curdle.
1 egg
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil (you can substitute 1/4 cup applesauce if you want)
Wisk all together.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry & stir quickly just until everything is mixed. DON'T OVER STIR. Just a quick get it all together & your done! Now I use a med. sized ice cream scoop to fill in the muffin cups. (For some reason I don't like to use paper liners when making homemade muffins They just seem more homemade without the paper- but do whatever floats your boat.)
Sprinkle each muffin with a little bit of extra sugar - maybe 1/2 a tsp. Now pop them in the oven just until a toothpick comes out clean & they are barely browning. Don't over cook them. Nothing dries out & ruins a muffin like over cooking. Start with 14-15 minutes then add a minute or two if you need.

*Sidenote~ I love these - I can't get enough blueberry in my life. I have been making versions of this recipe my whole married life. I hope these remind my kids of me.

How do you spell wisk/whisk- it comes up okay on spellcheck either way??

No comments: